The Best Way to Start the Morning, Part Two!
Monday: Overnight Oats
Overnight oats are commonly considered one of the easiest things to make in the morning. Here is a winter inspired overnight oats recipe:
- 1/2 cup nondairy milk
- 1/2 cup oats
- glass container with a lid, like a mason jar
- reusable bag
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar or a sugar substitute (not honey)
- nuts (I used pecans)
- apple (I used Ambrosia)
- Combine oats, cinnamon, sugar in the glass container
- Chop the apple and nuts, keep in the reusable bag
- Pour in the nondairy milk, combine with the dry ingredients
- Put the glass container in the fridge to let it sit overnight
- When ready to eat, add in the chopped apple and nuts
Tuesday: Fruit Parfait
Fruit Parfaits are some of the easiest ways to grab and go in the morning! Here is an easy one to make to make!
- glass container
- reusable bag
- nondairy yoghurt
- fresh fruit
- Choose how much yoghurt you would like to have in the morning, and place that in the glass container. I usually have about 1/2 cup to a cup
- Combine the granola of choice with the fresh fruit, and place those in your reusable bag
- Store the yoghurt in the fridge for overnight
- When ready to enjoy, combine the granola and fruit with the yoghur
Wednesday: Toast or Bagel Sandwich
The trick to making something easy in the morning is definitely life hacks. Did you know you can cook an egg in the microwave? You can! Whisk your egg in a microwave safe bowl or cup, and cook it on high for about a minute. You will have instant scrambled eggs!
- microwave safe bowl or cup
- Bread of choice (bagel, toast, english muffin, etc.)
- Put the desired bread of choice into the toaster and toast for your desired darkness
- Whisk together your egg in your microwave safe bowl or cup
- cook the egg in the microwave for about 1 minute on high
- Take the bread out of the toaster, and while it is still hot, put the cheese on the bread.
- Place the egg on the warm bread. The heat will melt the cheese and it will be delicious.
Thursday: Fruit Salad
One of my favorite breakfast is something sweet. I'm a sucker for anything light and fresh in the morning. Fruit salad is probably my favorite food of all time.
- Fruit that is in season
- It is winter, so: lemons, oranges, persimmons, tangerines, apples, pomegranates, quinces, etc.
- chop fruit
- combine together
- store in fridge
Friday: Nut Butter and Jelly Waffles or Toast
On my way to school in the mornings I would always be running late, so having a sandwich to eat in the car was incredibly common. Nut butter and jelly waffles were a common thing in my life, and I have fond memories of them.
- nut butter of your choice
- jelly of your choice
- waffles or toast
- Put your desired bread into the toaster and toast to your desired level of darkness
- Put desired spread onto the bread
Bonus Meal or Snack: Nut Butter and Bananas
One of my favorite meals or snacks is nut butter and bananas. Here is how I make these little mini sandwiches.
- nut butter of choice
- ripe bananas
- cutting board
- Peel the bananas and cut into pretty thick slices
- Pair the banana pieces together
- Cover one half of the bananas in your nut butter
- Make little banana sandwiches
- Sprinkle on the cinnamon
Until next time,