Recipe!! Turnip Cake
There is a local restaurant here in Louisville that makes the best turnip cakes. It is actually a local favorite and people travel from all over to eat at this restaurant Sounds great right? Well, the issue is that it is clear on the other side of town. I rarely find time to drive all the way over there to get turnip cakes. So I decided to make them on my own!
The recipe is surprisingly easy and only has a few ingredients and is super easy to make. What really makes the difference in this dish is the seasonings. Turnips do not taste like much of anything so you would need to season it very well and serve it with an awesome sauce.
Most places service this fried with eggs, but if you are a vegan you can leave out the eggs and serve it on its own. Simply brown it in cooking oil.
This recipe is a hit with everyone I have shared it with! I hope you enjoy this as much as I do!
Turnip Cake Recipe
Makes 4 servings
- 1 pound of shredded turnips
- 2 tablespoons of cooking oil
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon of Sesame oil
- 2 cups of flour
- 5 cups water
1. Saute the shredded turnips in the sesame oil until fork tender
2. Season turnips with salt and pepper
3. Add the turnips, flour, and water into a skillet.
4. Slowly stir until mixture thickens
5. Turn off the heat
6. Line a stainless steel bowl with plastic wrap, add in the mixture and cover the bowl with cling wrap
7. Put over pot of boil water
8. Steam for 30 minutes
9. Let cool for 30 minutes
10. Slice and fry in cooking oil