Ingredients For the Dough:
- 3 Tbsp water
- 1 Tbsp golden flax meal
- 1 cup and 2 Tbsp warm water
- 2 1/2 tsp active dry yeast
- 4 1/2 cups AP Flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup vegan butter, melted
- 1 tsp salt
- 3/4 cup and 2 Tbsp brown sugar
- 1/4 vegan butter softened
- 2 Tbsp maple syrup
- 2 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 cup walnuts and raisins (optional)
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1/4 cup refined coconut oil
- 2 Tbsp non-dairy milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- In a small mixing bowl, whisk together 3 Tbsp. water and flax meal. Set aside
- In another small mixing bowl, whisk together warm water and yeast. Allow mixture to sit for 10 minutes so the yeast can activate.
- Add flour to a medium mixing bowl.
- In another bowl, add brown sugar, vegan butter, and salt and whisk until incorporated.
- Add flax meal mixture from step 1 with the yeast mixture from step 2 to bowl with the sugar and butter mixture. Whisk until well combined. Add these ingredients to the bowl with the flour and stir until it forms into dough.
- Lightly dust a clean surface with flour and knead the mixture for 5-10 minutes. Place dough back in mixing bowl, cover, and place in a warm place for 1 hour. Afterwards, knead the dough for an extra minute and let it rest for 10 minutes.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the brown sugar, butter, maple syrup, and cinnamon. Set aside.
- Roll the dough into a flat rectangle. Spread vegan butter, sugar, and cinnamon mixture evenly on top.
- Carefully roll up the dough. Cut into sections.
- Place rolls into a lightly greased pan, cover and let rise for 1 hour.
- Add walnuts or raisins on top (optional). Bake cinnamon rolls at 400 degrees for 15 minutes. Make icing while waiting.
- For icing, place all ingredients in a food processor, process until smooth and use immediately.