This is an amazing salad that my family and I make all the time, especially in the summer because it is so refreshing! I love to bring it to parties too, all of my non-veg friends and family are obsessed with it. Not only is it super healthy so you can keep that nice summer body, but it has a great ratio of macronutrients. The veggies and greens will keep your summer skin beautiful and hydrated, the beans and quinoa will fuel your hard-working muscles with complete proteins, and the olives and sesame seeds will give you a dose of healthy fats to keep your belly feeling full and satisfied. It is great to make in big batches and store in the fridge, because who really wants to spend their summer afternoons in the hot kitchen?
Feel free to put your own spin on this recipe, it is completely customizable! You can sub rice for quinoa, chickpeas for black beans, and add in any of your other favorite vegetables.
1 cup dry quinoa
2 cans of black beans
1 can diced tomatoes
1 large red bell pepper
2 cans corn
1 can of Pitted olives (black, green, or kalamata)
2-3 cups chopped kale (or spinach)
4 tbs sesame seeds
Optional Add Ins
1 can of drained peas
Chopped red onion
Parsley or Cilantro
Chopped raw or steamed broccoli (or cauliflower)
- Cook the quinoa according to the package. This usually means bringing it to a boil with water and then covering the pot with the lid and reducing the heat to a simmer.
- While the quinoa is simmering, drain and rinse your beans well. Add them into a large bowl. Then, drain your diced tomatoes and corn and add them into the bowl with the beans. Drain your olives. You can leave them whole or chop them into smaller pieces, then add them to the bowl.
- Chop your kale, bell pepper and any other veggies you want to use. Add those to the bowl as well.
- Squeeze the juice from your limes over the entire salad and toss it well.
- Top with sesame seeds and enjoy!
Let me know if you try this recipe out and what your thoughts are! I hope everyone is having a happy and healthy summer! <3