When I arrived home from visiting family in Virginia for a few weeks, I was greeted by a boat load of zucchinis! The first thing I thought of when I saw the glorious load was 1. Zucchini Bread ( If you are looking for a vegan zucchini bread recipe check ours out here) and 2. Zucchini boats!
I learned the base recipe for zucchini boats while in school. I say base because the stuffing of this recipe can change depending on what you have. This is a great recipe to make when you have a bunch of veggies getting ready to go over to the dark side.
When I was in school, I was taught to make this with meat sausage (I was not a vegan or vegetarian at the time), but I have easily converted it to a vegan recipe by using Lifelight Meatless Gimme Lean® Sausage. This product is soy based (if you are anti-soy than you can use any other vegan sausage) you can go on Lifelights website and ready about this product and the other ingredients in it as well as all of the other products the offer.
Zucchini is a favorite in my house and I hope your family enjoys it as much as mine does!
Vegan Zucchini Boats Recipe
Makes 2-4 servings
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil
-1 cup of mushrooms diced
-1 medium carrot diced
-1 package of Lifelight Meatless Gimme Lean® Sausage
-2 cloves of garlic chopped
-1/4 cup onion diced
- Salt & Pepper to taste
-Vegan cheese *optional
1. Preheat oven to 450 degrees Fahrenheit (232 degrees Celsius)
1. Cut each zucchini in half and take out the seeds and set them aside. You want to leave at least 1/8th of an inch of flesh on the side because this will help keep the boat together once it cooks.
2. Boil the zucchini in salted water for 10 minutes
3. While the zucchini is boiling, start cooking the filling.
4. First, you want to add the garlic, onions, and carrots into a skillet with a bit of olive oil in it.
5. Once the carrots are about half way cooked, add in the Lifelight Meatless Gimme Lean® Sausage.
6. Break apart the sausage as it is cooking. You want it to be in as small of pieces as possible.
7. Once the sausage is completely cooked through, add the mushrooms, salt, and pepper.
8. Take the zucchinis and put them on a nonstick baking sheet
9. Scoop the other ingredients into the boat
10. *optional* top with vegan cheese
11. Bake for 15 minutes
12. Let cool for at least 10-15 minutes before eating