I hope everyone had a wonderful weekend! Today I am veering away from the vegan recipes and just going for a vegetarian dish, one of my absolute favorites. I have always enjoyed turnovers, but usually sweet ones. This savory twist is absolutely amazing. And brie cheese is my favorite. It has an odd taste. But it is extremely rich and creamy. I hope you guys enjoy this recipe! And if you have any vegan/vegetarian dishes you’d like to recommend, please do not hesitate to comment below!
Makes: 12 Portions
- 1 Tbsp Olive Oil
- 6 oz chopped mushrooms
- 3 oz sliced leeks
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- 2 Tbsp Madeira Wine (Dry port, sherry and Marsala all make good substitutes for Madeira wine)
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- 1 lb 8 oz Blitz Puff Pastry
- Egg Wash (2 egg yolks, and 2 Tbsp of water)
- 3 oz Brie cheese
- Line a half sheet pan with parchment paper.
- Heat the oil in a saute pan over medium-high heat, heat until it shimmers. Add the mushrooms to the pan and saute until lightly caramelized, 2-3 minutes. Add the leeks until they are light golden brown, 3-4 minutes. Add the garlic and cook for 1 minute.
- Deglaze the pan with the Madeira and reduce until nearly dry, about 1 minute. Season the mixture with salt and pepper. Cool the mixture to room temperature.
- Roll the dough into a rectangle 12 by 16 in. Cut the dough into 12 4 inch squares. Place the squares on the prepared baking sheet and let chill in the fridge until firm, about 10 minutes.
- Brush each square lightly with egg wash. Place 1 Tbsp of mushroom filling in the center of each square. Top the filling with 1 ½ tsp of the Brie. Fold one corner of the dough over the filling and line it up with the opposite corner of the dough. Press the edges firmly together to seal the filling inside the puff pastry dough. Chill the turnovers for about 10 minutes before baking. Brush the turnovers lightly with egg wash. Cut a small opening in the center of each turnover to allow steam to vent.
- Bake the turnover in the oven at 425 for 20-25 minutes. Serve.