Hey guys, today I am going to share with you a warm quinoa salad recipe. The things I love about quinoa is that it is so full of nutrients, it is versatile, and it is yummy!
Quinoa is considered a “superfood” this basically means that it is really good for you. It is full of protein, fiber, iron, and magnesium. All of these nutrients are really important for the body. Overall eating quinoa on a regular basis will help with digestion, blood flow, and your immune system.
A lot of people struggle with the consistency of quinoa. My suggestion is to try it many different ways. Quinoa is a grain, so it can be used in anything that rice would be used in. One of the best uses for it is over a nice green salad, this is often how I use my leftover quinoa.
The other ingredients combine together to make a nice and creamy consistency. To serve this dish, you could layer it in the individual bowls (like I did), layer it in a big clear bowl if you are wanting to show off how pretty it is, or you can skip all of the fancy stuff and mix it up. No matter what you choose this recipe is guaranteed to be delicious!
What are your favorite ways to eat quinoa? Let me know in the comments below!
If you use this recipe or even put your own spin on it take a picture and tag us in it on Facebook at The Smoothie Vegetarians, or tag us on Instagram @smoothievegetarians or Twitter @smoothievegies!
Butternut Squash Quinoa Salad
-1 cup of diced roasted butternut squash
-1 cup of mushroom slices
-1 cup of carrots
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 1 tablespoon of coconut oil (or any other fat for cooking the vegetables)
- 1 teaspoon of chili powder
- 3 cups of cooked quinoa (I used red quinoa)
- ½ cup diced tomato
-½ cup diced cucumber
-1 lemon juiced
- The first thing you want to do is cook your veggies. I started off with the carrots and garlic then add the mushrooms once carrots are mostly cooked.
- Add diced butternut squash
- Add chili powder and stir everything together
- Take veggie mixture off of heat and set aside
- Take tomatoes, cucumber, and lemon juice and mix together in a bowl
- Set tomato mixture aside
- Now you can layer everything in a bowl. I did mine in the order; cooked veggie mixture on bottom, quinoa, tomato mixture on top.
- Serve, this is intended to be eaten while warm